This blog is off the tail of several conversations with my husband, pastor, mom and others...just need to get it out of my head.
Every now and then, in any profession, we all need a pick-me-up. A little reminder of why we do what we do. As a teacher, it was those light bulb moments when something clicked with a student. As a professional it may come by way of a raise, promotion, or a grateful client. As a SAHM I get mine with every "smacker kiss" and "make mommy happy." But I've also realized that these moments usually come after a long battle on the potty, a dinner plate stand-off, or a for-no-reason-at-all toddler tantrum. So sometimes I have to breathe in deep and remember that children are a blessing, not just something else in life to deal with. Because I stay at home, I think I may have a little more patience in these moments. A little more guile to stick to my cause when trying to teach a lesson. A little more perspective when being shouted at by a 2 year old. A little more resolve when things don't go the way I had planned. I know, with all that I am, that God blessed me with a child(soon to be children), and it's my job to raise him up in the way that he should go. To be a hard worker, an exceptional husband, a loving father, and a follower of Christ. I can't expect anyone else to do it, the job is mine.
I want to be a mom who is living life with her children, not in spite of them. Taking the time and mustering the patience to see through their eyes for a bit. Enjoying their happy faces in the morning instead of being upset that they are awake so early. Stopping whatever task I'm in the middle of to play trains or make the bulldozer sound (because mom's is always so much better). Taking double the time to complete the chores so that I can let them use the vacuum or the dust rag. Accepting that there will be additional cleanup because he wants to help mix the flour and egg. Understanding that motherhood means less sleep, less time, and less energy than I would like. Because it's not about me anymore. It's about the lessons my children need to learn in the short time they are awake each day. That usually makes me bad cop, while my husband gets to be good cop...I don't think I'll regret the end result. It just means I have to make twice the effort to remind them that I love them. And because I love them, I will do all that I can to discipline fairly, consistently, and from a root of love not anger or frustration.
No comments:
Post a Comment