Monday, December 26, 2011

Family Tradition

Well, the craziness of Christmas has come and gone.  I have a camera full of photos, a fridge full of leftovers, and a living room full of toys to show for it.  I have to say, for a pregnant gal a little more than a month away from delivery, I was a pretty good sport.  But this blog is really less about our travels and more about our own Christmas at home.  In my pre Christmas blog, The Holiday That Stole Christmas, I mentioned several traditions that I wanted to incorporate into our own Christmas, so I'm following up.

Decorating the tree together- check


 Added a few child friendly things this year

Make homemade Christmas Cards- check


Sugary Confections- Check
I had planned to do this on our Christmas Eve (23rd) so that we could pack them up and take them to family the next day.  So I planned a whole day of baking for Carter and me while Daniel was at work.  Well, a whole day of baking for me...someone else started his day with a little rock and roll.

He later decided to take his usual spot on the counter to help with the Turtles 
and chocolate covered stuff....I say "stuff" because I literally dunked whatever I had that i thought might be good.  So it was a little random.

 

I decided to add this one to the list...
The Night Before Christmas- Check
Daniel reads the same book his dad read to him as a child.  It's old and worn and fantastic. :)




After putting him to bed and setting up all of his presents for the next morning, I sat in the floor of the living room admiring all our hard work.  This is the last Christmas that it will be just the 3 of us, and I feel like we did a pretty good job of making it special while taking advantage of teachable moments.  We managed to do everything that I wanted, with the exception of the advent calendar ( I have plans for next year).

Santa or no Santa, I think he had fun, and our Christmas morning would be no exception.

Yeah...that's a 6 foot tall Buzz Lightyear play tent.  It also all folds away pretty easily :)
Melissa and Doug play rug was a big hit! He's all about anything with wheels right now.
I'd put this stud on a calendar any day

I think I'm becoming less of a Christmas grinch and more a mom who is trying her best to love and celebrate the season in her own way.

Charlie Brown- "Isn't the anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?"
Linus- "Sure Charlie Brown, I can tell you what Christmas is all about.  Lights, please...
And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'''A Charlie Brown Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment