I've often said that one day I will write a book about grandma's life. Although no one would believe half of what I wrote because, if I hadn't heard it from the woman herself, even I wouldn't believe some of the stories she told. Some too awful to imagine, some too sad to bear, and some too outrageous be real. But weaved in and out and throughout her stories and her life is a common thread of strength. Grandma acquired a stubborn steadfast strength that could outlast and outwill anyone or anything. I believe it was this same strength that may have given her the...shall we say...disagreeable side that some knew her to have. I'd be lying if I said she got along with everyone....because she didn't. But as a woman and a mother, I believe that we all do the best that we know to do. And I think she did the best she knew to do. And I also believe that where there is strength, there is something to be learned. So I want to share a few of the things that I have learned from one of the strongest women I know... grandma dot.
I learned that time spent with children is never time wasted. That it may take a little longer to get things done and there may be a mess to clean up...but lessons are learned and memories are made. You see grandma taught me the absolute best way to peel a hardboiled egg. The importance of good penmanship. the advantages of having a great smile. To always look my best when leaving the house...and for her that was a swipe of her favorite raspberry pink lipstick. that a painfully tight french braid after bathtime meant princess worthy waves in my hair the next day. That sparing the rod would inevitably spoil the child and being spoiled was the absolute WORST quality anyone could have. That a frying pan could indeed be used for self defense. that homemade is always better. That the shape of the paintbrush tip was dependent upon the project at hand. That asking nicely can get you just about anything from her sewing room. That fly swatters could be used both for insects and unruly children. She taught me the recipe for a good mud pie and the ingredients to the best make-believe witches brew. she taught me the satisfaction of working hard and giving your best....even when it meant donning rubber gloves to pick up all of the fallen rotten apples from the tree out back. That the best way to clean a potty mouth was with a toothbrush and a bar of soap. That any household chore is made easier with the radio on. That moth balls in the flower beds keep the rodents away...a bb gun is also acceptable. she taught me the importance of honoring a birthday and what it means to a child when you show up to every.single.one. That highschool plays,dance recitals, and cheering from the sideline of football games is always more fun when grandma is in the audience cheering for you right back. That simple things like popsicle sticks, glue and glitter can make a holiday special. That the best way to greet anyone is with a smile and a pat on the back. That you can make a child eat anything, even salmon patties, when they are left at the table alone long enough. That a sense of humor is necessary and that you can snicker your way out of just about anything. That grandma is the 2nd call you make from school when dad doesnt answer and you need to play hookie for the 3rd time that month. That arguing with your elders, especially her, is pointless and obedience is rarely regretted. that a day should never begin without a cup of coffee. That kisses are never too sloppy and hugs are never too tight. That men are ridiculous and it's our job to tell them. But that strong women like us need a man who will tell her no if need be. And that sometimes our families need a strong woman to hold things together when the seams of life wear thin. She taught me that cats are the devil's pet and should be treated as such....especially if they wandered over from a nearby residence. That money won't buy a child's love. That women are almost always stronger than they look and with enough conviction can accomplish just about anything. And that time spent with loved ones around the table talking and laughing and asking questions about their lives lets them know that you care and that they matter to you. And I learned all of those things from her and will miss her because she did just that. I only hope that my children grow to cherish their memories with their grandparents as much as I have cherished my memories with Grandma. And my tears are not tears of sadness. They are tears of respect and love for one of the strongest women I know.
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Lessons Learned: My loving memories of Dorothy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment