Recently I overheard a conversation between parents where one asked the other, "What do you want for your children?" and the other responded "I just want them to be happy." It made me wonder, what do I want for my children? Do I just want you to be happy? Not really. Happiness isn't reliable. It's not some reachable destination. It's ever-changing and often fleeting. I'd say, at the very least, I want you to be happy. Do I want you to find joy in your everyday life? Of course, yes. But I want your lives to reflect the greatness that I know is within you, and greatness is born from moments that aren't so happy. Greatness is born from overcoming frustration. Greatness is born from overcoming fear, restlessness, anger or hurt. It comes with tears and worry and sleepless nights. It comes with ridicule and competition. It requires hard lines that can't be crossed, steadfast faith that refuses to be broken, and courage to do what's not always easiest. It requires balls of steel in moments of weakness...to either walk away, or to face the consequences of giving in. It almost always includes making mistakes. Moments that make you cringe. And that's okay. Be thankful for the lesson, ask for forgiveness, and move on. As much as I want to shield you from all of those awful things, I know that growth or change isn't possible without them. I also know that surviving those awful things requires knowing the One who put the greatness inside you, and His son who made your knowing Him possible.
What do I want for you? I want you to find your own greatness in life over and over again. It's part of who you are and the legacy you leave. It lives with you and beyond you.
No comments:
Post a Comment