Friday, February 17, 2012

Mommy Confessions: Can I get a time out?

Bill Cosby said that you're not really a parent until you have at least 2 kids, and now I know why he believes that and why my parents always laughed at that line.  I thought I knew what multi-tasking was when I became a middle school teacher, but this is a whole new kind of plate spinning.  Take the other night, for example.  I go in to get 3 week old Charlie up for his 7pm feeding to find him covered neck-to-toe in poo.  {I know, another post involving poo.  Forgive my lack of diversity} So, while my 2 year old Carter is occupied with his red balloon, I get a very unhappy Charlie in the bath.  Midway through his bath, I look up to see Carter waddling in with a stride so wide it can only mean 1 of 2 things.  Either a.) he has ridden horseback cross country or b.) he too has pooed his pants.  I ruled out saddle seat and went with the poo theory.  Ordered him to the potty, and with one hand on Charlie {because an infant drowning would not help things}, I used the other to somehow get Carter undressed and on to the toilet.  I add his dirty clothes to the already soiled pile to be washed out in the tub after I finish with Charlie.  Then, in walks my husband.  Awesome.  I'm sure I am the picture of poise and control at this moment.  Part of me wanted to ask him to leave and come back in 10 minutes when I have this all under control and not look like such a mess.  The other part of me was glad that he jumped in and helped to get Carter cleaned up.  I later realized, as I sat down to eat the dinner that Daniel brought home, that this was the first meal I'd had all day.  How does that happen?

Needless to say, I was glad to wake up Wednesday morning knowing that Carter would spend the next 36 hours with my mother-in-law.  My own personal time out.  Time to regroup and recharge.  I used to use those days to run errands and complete projects that couldn't be done while he was home.  Now? Between Charlie meals, I sleep.  As.Much.As.Possible.  The combination of late night feedings and keeping a toddler busy all day makes for one tired mommy.  Lucky for me, Charlie is a fan of lazy days.


I also enjoyed being able to shower without the door being flung open to hear "Hey mommy!!" I realize how much my life has changed during those quiet moments.  When I think to myself, Oh, yay! I have time to shave my legs!
I'm sure in a few years, I'll look back at these posts with nostalgia and wish for the baby days again. I'll have had Mommy Amnesia and will have forgotten about the lack of sleep, and feeling like a zombie most days.  Until then, I'll take all the time outs I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment