Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Doctor's in India, My husband's in Georgia....am I in labor?!

No, you didn't miss anything.  It was a false alarm.  A middle of the night, pacing the room alone, timing contractions, on the verge of calling my mom false alarm.  There's nothing like the last few weeks of a pregnancy to keep you on your toes.  At the beginning of every contraction a little voice in the back of your mind asks "is this IT?"  And a few nights ago, or early morning rather, I was convinced that Charlie was coming. This is it.  My doctor's in India, my husband's in Georgia, and I'm in labor.  Oh GOD!!  My doctor's in India, my husband's in Georgia, and I'm in LABOR?! And heeeeeeere comes the freak-out....

Skip to me in the bathroom floor crying like a baby because there's a chance my husband won't make it back in time, there's a chance I'll have some strange doctor who doesn't know me delivering my baby, and I'm just now realizing that I'm not okay with either. 

We knew ahead of time that Daniel would be out of town and we had formulated a plan.  My mother-in-law will stay with me and Carter for the week so that I'm not alone, and she will stay at the house with Carter if I need to go to the hospital.  My mom is 45 minutes away.  My friend Lori is 15 minutes away.  Daniel is 3.5 hours away.  Everyone's phones are on.  Bag is packed.  Car is gassed up.  Baby carrier is ready to go.  I've got a plan, I've got this.  Well, it sounded good in theory.  But in reality, while pacing the floor at 2am alone timing labor pains...that plan seemed less than satisfactory.  So what did I do?  I address the heavenly father while looking at the ceiling (because that's where he lives), and politely let him know that I will not be having this baby today.  That I will be going back to sleep, and we can continue this on Friday when both my husband and doctor are in town.  I haven't had a contraction since.

4 comments:

  1. Glad everything is ok...call if you need anything! ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ambulance..... 7 mins away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess 911 should probably be part of the plan. But then that plan would also need to include lip gloss and mascara. Because everyone knows that the cutest emts arrive when you look like a hot mess

      Delete