We took a family beach vacay over the weekend, and even though it was cut short by hurricane Isaac, we made the most of the 2.5 days we had. While I did have plenty of time to sit, toes in the water, and just...be, I did manage to completely wear myself playing in the water with my soon-to-be three year old. And somewhere between building sandcastles and wave boarding, I realized I've been running on autopilot. Mommy survival mode, if you will. Carrying out necessary tasks to keep the house and occupants thereof afloat. Make breakfast. Feed breakfast. Clean up remains of breakfast. Wipe faces. Wipe hands. Wipe bottoms. Tidy house. Kiss children. Repeat for lunch & dinner, then sleep. And before I know it, every aspect of my life is on autopilot as well. There's food autopilot where my meal choices are no longer thoughtful, but instead last minute and often packaged. There's wife autopilot where we exchange typical marital phrases, like "I love you" and hope that it makes up for the lack of conversation we've had in the last 24 hours. And because I'm on autopilot, I find myself feeling bored. Not because there is nothing to be done...because there are LOTS of things to do...but because I'm running the same track over and over and over. It happened when I was working, so it's not just a SAHMommy thing. Old habits die hard, and they are habits that I fall into because it's mindless. It takes zero effort and next to no energy. And then I realized how little energy I've had lately...which goes right back to what I'm feeding my body, and the general lack of fitness I am currently maintaining. I did a happy dance when I was able to fit into and button my prepreggo jeans and pretty much quit worrying about my body by the time the zipper was up. Now, while I am an advocate for rest, and I generally think most Americans work entirely too much and cram too many things into their calendars, knowing that I've been living on autopilot seems like a slap in the face to my adventurous spirit. Not to mention what that attitude might say to the One who provided me this time here on Earth. So today, I'm hitting RESET, people.
Psshh. Who needs a January 1st date to make some life upgrades, anyway? I change things up in August 'cause that's how I roll.

No comments:
Post a Comment