Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Is That a Grey Hair?!
My husband and I recently took a trip to Las Vegas, and while vacations always bring out our fun side, I realized {brace yourselves}, I'm getting old...{er}. We sat next to a college student at the first show we saw, and I laughed out loud when she asked us if we were "going out" afterwards....after the show that wouldn't end until 11....PM. Going out?! I thought I WAS out! I also found myself wanting to avoid the young hip bar scene and opted for more civilized dining experiences instead. And instead of, as I had planned, handing over cold hard cash to fling myself off of the 40 story Stratosphere hotel & casino with nothing but a few cables between me and the concrete earth below, I watched sheepishly from the bottom as others took the plunge, wishing I was excited about it as they were. I talked myself out of it and found compromise with a carnival-ish roundabout ride atop the same hotel. This will do, I thought. But then as the arm of the ride swung us out over the side of the building, my children flashed before my eyes. What if something goes wrong? What will they do without me? I could see the news story headline. Two children left parentless. Faulty hydraulic cable sends mother and father 40 stories to their death. Who have I become? When did I start looking before I make the leap, and in some cases, not leaping at all? Somewhere between my 25th and 28th year, it seems I lost my cojones. I used to be so carefree. Fearless. But the world that I once saw as my playground, full of monkey bar possibilities, I now see as the safety hazard that it is. And instead of running right up and taking my turn, I tip toe my way through the minefield of caution signs. They say things like "Early Morning Ahead"...yep, better not stay out too late. "Make U-Turn Now"...before I fail or get my feelings hurt. "Falling Expectations"....better be realistic. And by the time I make it to the metaphoric apparatus, I've talked myself out of the adventure. Needless to say, I've marked a few things off of my bucket list...shark diving probably isn't a good idea. Sky diving...seems a little risky. In fact, I may just avoid diving of any kind. And I'm not even ready to talk about the number of greys my hair stylist covered up last week. *palm to face*...it's happened. I'm officially a responsible{ish} adult.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment