Monday, November 7, 2011

stimulating the economy: things I couldn't live without this winter

They say "Money can't buy happiness," but it CAN buy products that have the power to change your life!  And honestly, I think I was surprised by small things that made all the difference for me.  So here are a few things that I splurged (I use this word lightly because these things aren't real expensive) on to prepare for a very pregnant holiday season.

#1 Maternity Pillow
I was a bit skeptical of these things when I was pregnant with my first child, but I'm a believer now!  If you are or ever have been pregnant and remember the 3rd trimester tossing and turning you will understand the gravity of my next statement: I can sleep and stay asleep in the SAME position ALL NIGHT LONG using this pillow.  I can't explain why it's better than shoving a bunch of regular pillows between your legs and behind your back...but it is.  It just is.  It supports in all the right places, and is the right amount of firm.  Plus, you can put it in like 8 different shapes to fit your needs!  My regular pillows have been in the floor since I got the Snoogle (Amazon 65.00) , and I have a feeling they may not return even after the baby arrives. Changed my life!

#2  Mens Boxer Briefs

So my husband threw an old pair of his Calvins at me one night and said "try those on. I got the wrong fit.  They are too short."  His loss, my gain.  They are now what goes on after the bra, uncomfortable prepregnancy underwear, and makeup come off. 

#3  Vaseline Intensive Repair Lotion
Okay, so you may be wondering "really? lotion?"  Yes.  Really.  I must say that I don't know anyone with dryer skin than mine.  This stuff works!  All day!  I even put it on my face!  Winter has always been dry and itchy for me, but this has seemed to cure it!  Never using another lotion again.  Drugstores for about 5.00.

#4 Old Navy Sweater Knit Booties
Lots of fun patterns, but I chose Heather Brown (because I'm safe and boring, I know). They go great over leggings.  'Nuff said. Old Navy 23.00

#5 Bandeau Top
I may have become obsessed with these after seeing Dani from Big Brother wear them under her razor back tanks all summer, but I'm glad I have them for winter!  Next best thing to going braless, and I can still answer the door or run to the store without being inappropriate.  Now, I will say, while I'm a C/D during pregnancy, I'm pushing a B normally so I don't have support issues(yet...I'm sure that day will come).  Underwire is more of a formality rather than a necessity for me so a bra like this is possible. Victoriassecret.com 14.50 when you buy 2 

Go ahead...try something on the list and tell me you don't love it.  I dare you.

1 comment: