Monday, October 17, 2011

Mommy Confessions: I've gone soft

I'm not going to lie...some people (and by people I mean my mother) thought I was crazy for putting my newborn on a rigid schedule.  I lived and breathed that schedule for the first year, and it worked for us.  But somewhere along the line...that schedule became less rigid.  And then "less rigid" became "pretty flexible".  And then "pretty flexible" became "whenever I can get him to agree to it."  And all of a sudden, I've lost my power.  I went soft.  I have officially lost all hardcore Type A Mommy street cred.  I've replaced words like "too bad, sucka" with "oh honey, I'm sorry" and the attitude of "because I said so" with "okay...just one more time." If I were in the mob...they'd chop off my little finger and call me Pinkie to remind me that weakness is never an option.  Instead, as a mom...weakness means I'm left with a bratty, tantrum throwing, line crossing, tester of a two year old.  I think I'd prefer to lose a pinkie. Solution:

No more Mrs. Nice Mom...back to the schedule it is.  Oh, you'd like to throw a tantrum? Time outs are back, too.  No questions.  Mobster style.  No mercy.  2 days and counting.  He doesn't even know what hit him.  In bed at 7:30, Cat In the Hat ONE TIME, Sing Adel Weiss ONE TIME and I'm out, son.  "sleep with the fishes"....okay that's a little hardcore.  "Sleep like a baby" is probably more appropriate.  Maybe a little Mrs. Nice Mom is okay. 

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard NOT to go soft when they want things their way. I had to fight this many, many times before getting the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete