Friday, July 29, 2011

Operation Big Boy Room: Complete!

Now, I understand the word "complete" is like an oxymoron when speaking in terms of children's rooms, because they are like the children themselves...constantly changing and growing.  But I feel like the major transitions have been made, and I'm super happy with the outcome!  I may be more in love with this room than I was with it as a nursery.  Which is quite a statement considering 3 days ago I was sitting outside his room crying because it looked like a prison cell to me.  But with a little color and a paintbrush, it's now my favorite place to be in the house.
I decided I wanted to avoid the expensive showroom bedroom furniture, but instead have a more eclectic feel.  I'm done with stuffy fussy rooms and furniture that can't be scratched or dinged. So here goes!
The madras curtains were the color inspiration for the whole room.  Next purchase was the previously white iron bed, which I spray painted a dark brown.  Because Carter is still figuring out the big boy bed thing, I got foam bumpers from Amazon that fit under the mattress pad and sheet.  Love them! 
The letters and paper airplane idea was inspired from pintrist.com....however I used electrical tape instead of paint to create the airplane and its trail so that I can just peel it off when I'm over it.  Black paint is not easy to cover up.
I still need to recover the trunk, but you get the idea.
We bought a small travel pillow that he sleeps with (perfect toddler size 5.00 at target) , which required some creativity as far as a pillow case.  So I pulled out his baby receiving blankets and whipped up 2 travel size cases and a few standard cases.  So glad those blankets get a second life!

This is a dresser that I found on craigslist for 25.00!  Painted that bad boy the deepest blue martha stewart offers, and then spray painted the hardware.  So this is diaper changing central until he is potty trained.  The airplane watercolors are actually just copied images from real watercolors for sale on etsy...printed them on my color printer.

Add an old Edens barn board and a few hooks and this room is complete!  Done and DONE!

2 comments:

  1. I love the airplane and letters! I think that's my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Laura - I love the airplane and trail! I would have never thought of using electrical tape, but that's a genious idea!!!

    ReplyDelete