There is really no deep meaning to this blog...I just wanted to document my appreciation for all of the wonderful friendships that I have during this season of my life. This has really been a time of transition for me as a woman, as a mom, as a wife, and as a christian. But my spirits have really been lifted by the women around me. How? By simply talking. Getting it out, and then realizing that I'm not alone. That I'm not crazy. Or that maybe, now that I've said that thing that I've never said out loud....it is crazy! And WHY have I been wasting energy thinking about it?? I think all humans feel the need to relate. There is unmeasurable power in a nod of agreement from across a table....the physical sign of understanding and acknowledgement. That my feelings, thoughts or opinions have been validated. I have found that this only occurs in groups of women. Men relate with one another in a completely different way. In the "Love & Respect" series Dr. Emerson talks about a study that was done involving the way that men and women communicate. When placed in a room with two chairs sitting next to one another, men sat in the chairs and remained facing the same direction for the entire conversation...rarely turning to look at one another. When placed in the same room, women would turn the chairs to face one another or position their bodies towards each other. Women have a need to share their stories.
I have always valued "Girl Time" with friends...but have realized that at this stage of my life...it has to be scheduled. Growing up, my friends were the people I saw most often, usually at school. It remained that way for me until I went to college, and then I was living with my closest friends...so that was easy. Then I began my career and was lucky enough to have old and new friends in the building that I saw 5 days a week. But being a stay-at-home mom...that all changes. You no longer have the old hag down the hall that you go to when you want to complain about the boss...or the best friend a few doors down that can tell something's wrong before you even say it...Or the up-for-anything friend who will tag along at the drop of a hat...Or the older sister who sleeps in the next room....Or the practical friend who will tell you what you need to hear...Or the spritual friend who will pray with you when you've done all you can do. I've been blessed to have a few friends that embody all of those qualities...but we have all grown up. We have busy husbands, young children, and packed schedules. So now, more than ever...I value my time with the girls. We may not solve any of the problems we have...some may not even be solvable, but getting it out and getting a nod is all we might have needed. So thanks Ladies!
No comments:
Post a Comment