Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Offensive End

So we've always heard about the power of words, but I'm starting to realize the truth in that saying.  I knew that blogging would be a great outlet for me, and because I put it out into the universe, I've had some revelations come my way.  I believe in the concept of "standing in the gap" for someone...and in this season of my life, I believe that my mom, husband, close friends, and even my cousin chris have received divine insight in my stead.  I'd like to share one said insight today.

I tend to struggle with trying to please everyone.  I constantly replay conversations I've had with former bosses, friends, co-workers, family members and seem to come up with the perfect thing to say not in the perfect moment, but instead, on the car ride home through tears of frustration.  "Why didn't I say that?! Why didn't I just...fill in the blank.  How could this happen?  In those moments of fear, embarrassment, anger, or resentfulness, it is hard to hear that favorite phrase of mine (please note the sarcastic tone) "everything happens for a reason."

But after listening to a speech from Micheal Hyatt {link below}, something he said on this issue really resonated with me.  He relates the biblical story of King David, and how he was being persecuted near the end of his reign.  A man starts throwing stones at him (Don't know about you, but I've had a few metaphoric stones thrown at me in one way or another) and giving him the 'what-for'.  David's right-hand-man immediately comes to his defense, calls him a "dirty dog" (like any great friend would say), and asks if he can chop off his head.  Now, in my life, this scene would unfold at a table for 3 at chilis with my 2 best friends...I unload my worries, frustrations, concerns about someone or something and they loyally follow with maybe some choice words and excited validation of my feelings. Don't get me wrong, it helps for a few hours, but the same anxious feelings creep back in at some point.  However...King David gracefully responds with " Let him alone, and let him curse; for so the LORD has ordered him."  Wait a minute....what?! 

You're telling me that some dude throws a rock at your head, tells you that you've failed miserably at your calling and you just keep walking?!  Wow.  I believe that kind of restraint comes from knowing the heart of God.  While I'm not sure I can always be this wise in the moment, this one verse has really given me faith and hope that all of the offenses, failures, and seemingly hopeless situations in my life may have been ordered by God.  That in this time when I am asking questions like "Did I make the right decision? How could this have happened? Where ARE you Lord?" I can have the faith of David and know that he is with me and has ordered my steps. 

I imagined a different order to things, I must admit.  I quit my job thinking that I would soon have a second child, a great church to dive into, great hobbies to better myself, maybe a little schooling to advance my mental capacity...but none of those things have happened the way that I thought they would. Pile on top a few friendships gone by the way-side and you have yourself a full blown pity party.  So I have to say...I've taken the bait at times and doubted his plan.  But I am growing in faith by the day, and receiving encouragement in unexpected ways...so I know that God is there.  Listening.  Knowing.  Loving.  And growing me in a way that might seem painful in the thick of it...but I know there will be fruit to show in the end!

So for the moment, I know that being offended or feeling sorry for myself is a choice.  And I'm choosing to operate in faith like David.  No, I am not a perfect christian, and my practicality sometimes gets in the way of my faith...but I belive this video was a great blend of the two and it spoke to me. so, thanks chris!

Key Note Speech by Micheal Hyatt:
http://michaelhyatt.com/my-keynote-speech-on-dealing-with-offenses.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+michaelhyatt+%28Michael+Hyatt%29

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention, although really not necessary. Hang in there, the good thing about seasons, they end. Besides, sometimes you have to go through rough stuff today to be prepared for more than you can imagine tomorrow. There is a blog about that somewhere, when I find it, I'll forward it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that mean I still can't yell "off with their heads"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, you may Lori :) that's what friends are for!!

    ReplyDelete